Free Things to Do In Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi is primarily a shopping destination with an impressive assortment of restaurants and night life options, yet there are things that will cost you nothing and yet provide you with an excuse to frolic or just wander about for the fun of it.
• There are gardens and parks aplenty in Abu Dhabi. Most either charge a nominal entry fees or are free to enter. Khalidya Gardens, Paradise Gardens and Khalifa Park are some notable places for a stroll, rest or flower display.
• If you love the sea air, then step out to explore Dhow Harbour. View the clustered group of traditional fishing boats. If you are lucky, you may end up as witness to a boat arriving at dock with a prize catch.
• Museums are always great places to take kids on an educational tour of sorts, even as you discover more about the distant past of the Middle East region. The UAE University Natural History Museum has an interesting collection of minerals, rocks, flora and fauna.
• If you are an early riser and one who is used to fish odour, the port fish market should interest you. You will catch the market at its busiest in the morning, with a pleasant melee of unloading, arranging and bargaining.
• A souq is a name for an open-air marketplace and if you in the mood for exquisite artistry then the Carpet Souq near the Abu Dhabi port is a good place to be. Carpets are an expensive buy, so hold back your temptation (unless you can't help it) and admire the intricate work and design.
• If you are an automobile lover, you will find it hard to resist the lure of The National Auto Museum. Check out sleek designs and legendary car models here.
• As large as five footballs fields put together, the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is a sight to behold. Semi-precious stones adorn the structure along with a lush spread of more than 20,000 panels of marble on the walls.
• If forts and history in the desert interest you, the Liwa Forts will certainly command your attention for the atmosphere and opportunities in photography.
• You are an art lover and are looking for places that showcase the works of local contemporary artists? The Ghaf Gallery is your free art ride.
• The Abu Dhabi Heritage Village showcases the local traditions, even as you can loll away you time in the gardens, visit the mosque and attend workshops where craftsmen are busy at work.
Abu Dhabi is primarily a shopping destination with an impressive assortment of restaurants and night life options, yet there are things that will cost you nothing and yet provide you with an excuse to...