What do you think about a weekend getaway to a destination whose calling cards are two very different attractions– bountiful nature & wadis and the stunning Gulf of Oman?
I am talking about Fujairah, the sprawling emirate situated on the east coast of the United Arab Emirates. Known for its beaches and the Hajar Mountains, Fujairah is a perfect weekend getaway for travellers from Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
Fujairah’s main draw is its reputation as the ideal weekend getaway destination of UAE. It is the perfect getaway for everyone; right from those who can‘t wait to explore the outdoors, to those who would like to cosy up and enjoy the comforts of the indoors.
While plan your trip to Fujairah, do take a note of the following: –
1. Visit the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, the second largest mosque in the country. The gleaming, imposing building is bedecked with six 100-metres long minarets and can house over 28,000 worshippers at one time. Although non-Muslims are not permitted, the very-impressive exterior continues to draw in a lot of visitors.
2. For those who have a soft spot for water sports, Fujairah pampers them with an array of activities on offer including the likes of jet skiing, windsurfing, water-skiing and diving. Head out to Al Boom Diving Centre at Le Meridien, if you want to find professional diving instructors or hire diving gear.
3. Attention outdoor lovers! Fujairah with its mountains and wadis is one of the best spots in the country to hike, climb and camp. Make sure you take a guided tour. Opting for organised group tours/treks (ranging across every ability level) is highly recommended.
4. If you are keen on understanding the centuries old Emirati way of life; visit the Fujairah Heritage village situated on the Mohammed Bin Matar road. The village has impressively maintained the Fujairah castle– whose origins pre-dates the entire country by centuries and the Fujairah museum– housing artefacts from the 3000-years-old Bedouin settlement in the area.
5. If your idea of an ideal weekend getaway involves reading a book by a beach side, drive down to Khor Fakkan beach near Khor Fakkan port. It is widely considered as one of the best beaches in the UAE.
A visit to the, Al Bidya Mosque, the oldest mosque in the seven emirates. Made from mud and bricks, its porigins dates back to the 15th
Shopping in Fujairah:
Head out to the Fujairah Mall for your fix of high-end goods, stores and restaurants. If you want more options, you’ll find plenty in the City Centre Fujairah and the Lulu Mall Fujairah.
Best time to visit Fujairah:
The months from September to March
Distance and time from major cities:
From Dubai: 164.6 km (approx. 2 hr 30 mins)
From Abu Dhabi: 295.6 km (approx. 3 hr 50 mins)