A proud host of the longest day of the year- the summer solstice, the month of June is also host to a number of interesting festivals and events. And, it offers the best of both worlds- famous, crowded, over the top festivals and offbeat, uncrowded yet fun celebrations. So, if you plan on travelling anytime soon, here’s a list of 5 Festivals and events in June that you cannot miss out on during your vacation.
1. Warwick Thai Festival, Warwick, England
When: 1st and 2nd June To experience the taste of Thailand right in the heart of England, head over to the pretty town of Warwick to participate in the Warwick Thai Festival. A wonderful amalgamation of Thai culture, world class Thai food, relaxing Thai massages, Muay Thai (type of boxing) matches and captivating performances, this festival is held at the Warwick Racecourse every year.View this post on Instagram
2. San Vino Wine Fight, La Rioja, SpainWhen: 27th to 30th June A completely madcap and relatively lesser known event, the San Vino Wine Fight in La Rioja, Spain, is essentially a water fight, but with wine! Also known as the La Batalla de Vino de Haro, this epic fest ends with visitors being soaked in grape-juice made from grapes that did not pass the quality test for wine making. Oh, did we mention that this entire wine fight takes place amidst gorgeous vineyards?! Here's how you can get a visa to Spain!
3. Lollapalooza, Stockholm, Sweden
When: 28th to 30th June The international music festival of Lollapalooza is famous world over for being the most vivacious one. Taking place in Stockholm in June, this year’s Lollapalooza is spread across 4 stages and will be hosting over 70 artists. With names such as Travis Scott, Laleh, Lana Del Rey and Greta Van Fleet performing this year, it is going to be a larger-than-life event to look out for.View this post on Instagram
4. Glastonbury Festival, Somerset, England
When: 26th to 30th June When you know that amazing artists like Janet Jackson, Liam Gallagher and Miley Cyrus will be performing at the Glastonbury Festival this year, all you got to do is pack your bags and leave for Somerset!View this post on Instagram
5. Shimla Summer Festival, Shimla, India
When: 2nd to 7th June A 5-day long affair, the Shimla Summer Festival is a riot of colour and culture. Organized in order to welcome the summer with gusto, this charming festival is a mix of folk dances, finger-licking good food, ice skating, interesting flower shows, performance by famous Indian singers and a Himachali Films’ festival. Sounds like the complete package to us! Other fascinating festivals and events that you can visit in the month of June include the ongoing Venice Biennale festival which is the biggest art festival in the world, the Inti Raymi (Inca Festival of the Sun) celebrated in Cusco, Peru, the Matariki (Maori New Year) celebrations in New Zealand and the Usadba Jazz Festival held in Moscow, Russia.View this post on Instagram