Georgia in December becomes a vision in white as it transforms into a snowy winter wonderland in the winter months. If you want to experience Georgia when its temperature drops down to 2-3 degrees Celsius (35-40 Degrees Fahrenheit) and love being among snow-capped mountains then December is the best time to visit Georgia. Even though many consider the best time to visit Georgia is between June – October, but we would recommend that you should visit Georgia in December for the following reasons:
Why visit Georgia in December
- Prices of hotels and transportation will be cheaper.
- If you are into operas, plays and other performing arts then December is the peak cultural season in Georgia. Events like ‘Cheese and Hot Drinks Day’, Batumi Build Fair, various New Year Exhibitions take place during December.
- Georgia is less crowded during the winters.
- The food is heartier during winters because nothing like a steamy beef broth dumpling to keep you warm in Georgia’s snow season.
- If you are planning to stay for New Year’s then the fireworks at the stroke of midnight are impressive! Georgians are extremely serious about their New Years celebrations and they celebrate it for 2 weeks straight!
Things to do in Georgia in December
1. Enjoy Heli-Skiing
If you are an adrenaline junkie then heli-skiing is definitely for you. Gudauri in Georgia is known for this extreme sport. Heli-skiing (both for beginners and professionals) at Gudauri is much more affordable than heli-skiing in other European cities.
2. Take a Ride in the ‘Kukushka’
A ‘Kukushka’ is a railway train that connects you from Borjomi to Bakuriani, another popular Georgian Skii Resort. Take in the spectacular view of snow capped forests while you take a ride on this train. You will also pass over a popular bridge that was built by the French engineer Gustave Eiffel, who constructed this bridge by order of the Romanov Russian Family.
3. Paragliding in Winter
Paragliding is a very popular sport in Georgia and it takes place across all seasons, but paragliding is more popular in Georgia during Decembers. If you like soaring adrenaline and a bird’s eye view of the world beneath then paragliding is one of the top things you can do in Georgia. Adore the breathtaking snow-capped mountains that only paragliding can provide.
Paragliding takes places across Tbilisi, Batumi, Gudauri, Vardzia, Mestia, Kakheti and Uplistsikhe. A minimum of 13-20 mins paragliding might cost you around 250-350 Gel (300-400 AED).
4. Visit the volcanic Paravani Lake
Located atop 6,801 ft above sea level, the volcanic Paravani Lake is the biggest lake in the country. Situated less than 3 hours away from Tbilisi, this lake is definitely a treat to the eyes, when it freezes in December and is surrounded by snow, giving absolute winter wonderland vibes. Hence if you are visiting Georgia in December, the Paravani lake must be in your travel bucket list!
5. Visit Sulfur Baths at Tbilisi
This is a must visit place especially after extreme Heli-Skiing. This is not your average touristic thing but visit the baths when your muscles are sore from all the extreme sports. Indulge in a strong massage and follow it up with immense amount of lathery soap along with hot sulfuric water that will work well with your muscle knots and body pain.
6. Visit the mysterious caves of Sataplia and Prometheus
The mysterious caves of Sataplia and Prometheus are a must-visit during the snow season in Georgia. Both these caves are located not very far from Kutaisi, and are accessible to travelers. The Sataplia preserves fossil footprints of dinosaurs. The Prometheus Cave is bigger and offers a boat trip along the underground river.
Also Read : 7 Best Cities To Visit In Georgia, Europe
7. Visit the snow-covered cave-town of Vardzia
This cave town is located in the southern part of the country and is known for its churches, different shrines and beautiful frescoes. If you are visiting Georgia in December, this 20th century natural wonder is a must visit.