A welcome break from the glitzy mall culture of Dubai, road trips are one of the best ways to spend quality time with your loved ones! Not only is the journey worthy, the destination is just as good – a road trip from Dubai to Musandam is a good getaway from the everyday routine of the city.
The Musandam Peninsula is actually an exclave of Oman but is separated from it by the UAE.
Fascinated with Oman? Check our complete Oman Travel Guide here.
Musandam Road Trip from Dubai – Directions
While the beauty of Dubai can’t be argued upon, frankly, there is so much to UAE than just Dubai and it is definitely worth exploring. Thanks to dream like roads and availability of world-class cars, checking out other parts of UAE from Abu Dhabi or Dubai is a great opportunity for a perfect weekend break.
As you take this wonderful road trip to Musandam, you will come across plenty of scrubby sandy plains, and you will also stumble upon some outstanding parts, marked by waves of sand dunes in apricot and peach, magnificent Rocky Mountains, and a few lush date-palm oases. It takes a little over two hours to reach Musandam Peninsula from Dubai.
Within minutes of entering Musandam you will be blessed with spectacular views of the craggy Hajar mountains!
If you are planning to rent a car for your road trip of Musandam, don’t forget to ask for Omani travel insurance, for you will need it to get your visa at the Omani border post. If you don’t already have it, you’ll need to purchase it at the border.
Also, do ensure that you have a visitor visa that allows you to re-enter the UAE after your trip. For documents related information, check with the Dubai Department of Tourism.
Want more options for road tripping? Check out the Jebel Jais Road trip.
Places to see in and around Musandam
There’s enough to do and see around Musandam to keep you occupied over a weekend. Here are some places in Musandam you can’t miss:
- Oman Fjords
- Bimmah Sink-hole
- Khasab Castle
- Khawr Najd
- Khasab Fort
Also read: 5 best things to do in Musandam
Where to stay – Hotels near Musandam
- Atana Khasab Hotel
- Six Senses Zighy Bay
- Golden Tulip Khasab Hotel and Resort
- Royal Beach Hotel & Resort
The hotel, Six Senses Zighy Bay has a stunning location, surrounded by the turquoise blue waters of Musandam’s fjords and the rugged Hajar mountains!
Tips – Road Trip from Dubai to Musandam
- If you intend to take a road trip to Musandam in winters, make sure, you have jackets handy as it tends to get quite cold and windy. While in summers, the place heats up to 50 degrees celsius, and Musandam is then very hot, dusty and lacks (drinkable) water. It is recommended to keep adequate supplies with you.
- Also, there are only few hotels in Musandam, Khasab region and it might get a tad crowded during holidays, so it is advisable that you make prior reservations.
- Be extremely cautious while driving as the roads are steep and at times, you might counter reckless drivers.
Also check out these 7 scenic UAE road trips that are worth taking!
If you found this article useful in planning your road trip to Musandam, show some love by rating us with a “5 star”!