Shopping in Sri Lanka can be a delight, if you know where to go and what to buy. While the country is dotted with a good variety of malls, you must make it a point to visit ethnic craft shops, local flea markets, and small shops as well, for that is where the real Sri Lanka lies! While there is a no harm in buying branded stuff, if you are looking for real, raw, authentic Sri Lankan elements, the aforementioned places will not disappoint you!
Enclosed is a Sri Lankan shopping guide; the holy grail – you should abide by, if you want to make your shopping experience fun!! We, at Holidayme, have not only made it a point to inform you on things you can buy, but also where you can buy them! Can it get any better?
Shopping in Sri Lanka – What to buy in Sri Lanka
- Souvenirs like postcards, fridge magnets, wood or stone Buddha carvings etc.
- Porcelain and Ceramics
- Metalwork and lacquerware
- Wooden tuk-tuk models
- Notebooks made from elephant dung paper
- Sri Lankan lace
Shopping in Sri Lanka – Where to buy
- Pettah Market, Colombo
- Waruna Antiques, Kandy
- Dudley Silva Batik, Ambalangoda
- Shoba Display Gallery, Galle
- Selyn Handlooms,Kurunegala
- Euphoria Spice & Herbal, Matale
- Jaffna Market, Jaffna
- Barefoot, Colombo
- Lihiniya Gems, Galle
- Sigiri Art Gallery, Sigiriya
Shopping in Sri Lanka – Shopping Tips:
- BARGAIN! Yes, it might sound petty to some of you, but shopping without bargain is no fun.
- While most of the shops have ‘fixed price’ tags that they abide by, if you are purchasing bulk or multiple items, ask for a ‘special price’ and you might just get lucky!
- Make sure to buy gems only from authentic stores, to save yourself from fakes.