The State Hermitage Museum - A must-visit in St. Petersburg, RussiaThe second-largest museum in the world, the State Hermitage Museum is also one of the richest museums in the world. The huge museum complex consists of six historic buildings lining the Neva River, including the splendid Winter Palace, the former royal residence of Russian Tsars. The museum’s rich collection started after Empress Catherine the Great purchased a wonderful collection of paintings in 1764. Today, the Hermitage houses a staggering collection of over 3 million art and cultural artworks! If you're planning a holiday to Russia and wondering what to see in St. Petersburg, this museum should definitely be a part of your trip itinerary.
Why you must visit the Hermitage Museum in St.Petersburg, RussiaTrips to St. Petersburg must include a visit to this world-famous museum for the following reasons:
- The Hermitage is the second-largest museum in the world after The Louvre, Paris.
- It has around 400 rooms spread across floors interlinked in five buildings. It has an impressive 39 permanent exhibitions that will surely leave you mesmerised.
- So bountiful are the treasures of the Hermitage, that if you decide to carefully admire each artefact for 1 minute, spending 8 hours at the museum everyday, it will take you a whopping 25 years to explore every artefact in it!
- The museum is located in the centre of Vasilevskiy Island and is surrounded by popular tourist attractions of St. Petersburg such as the St. Isaac’s Cathedral and the Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood.
View this post on Instagram
- The museum’s key highlights include the beautifully ornate Jordan Staircase and a rich collection of artefacts including golden chandeliers, artworks from Italian Renaissance, Spanish and Italian fine arts, Dutch Golden Age and Flemish Baroque, German, Swiss, French and British art, Neoclassical, Impressionist and Post-Impressionist, German Romantic, Modern and Russian art. An art lovers’ paradise, the Hermitage houses paintings and art of almost every art movements and ages!
With the Louvre, Paris becoming burdened with mass tourism, The Heritage in Russia is a museum that will satisfy the art connoisseurs during their St. Petersburg holidays.View this post on Instagram
Essential Information about the Hermitage Museum
- 10:30 to 1800 hours (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday)
- 10:30 to 21:00 hours (Wednesday and Friday)
- 700 Roubles – The Main Museum Complex and its branches, the General Staff Building, the Winter Palace, the Menshikov Palace, the Museum of the Imperial Porcelain.
- 400 Roubles – for Russian and Belarusian citizens
- 300 Roubles – for schoolchildren, students, pensioners
- Free admission – The third Thursday of every month and 8th March, 18th May, and 7th December.