Comprising of the Zanzibar archipelago in the Indian ocean, along with several islands including the two major islands of Unguja (the main island) and Pemba, Zanzibar is a stunning destination flanked by dreamy, white-sand beaches, idyllic islands, glistening corals, rural beach-lined villages, the medieval Stone Town (an iconic historic centre), extraordinary restaurants and bars, and plenty more to overwhelm you with its magic. The main magnets of Zanzibar tourism are the powdered beaches, the diverse wildlife, and lush islands and forests, giving you unlimited options when it comes to places to see and things to do in Zanzibar.
Things to do in ZanzibarOn your next visit to this region, here is a must-accomplish list of things to do in Zanzibar:
- Check out the numerous clean, exotic, tranquil and pristine beaches of Zanzibar, especially Nungwi beach and Kendwa beach.
- Visit the historic Stone Town, located in the heart of Zanzibar City, and savour a tour of its markets, labyrinth alleys and an array of historic sites.
- Sail to the beautiful island of Pemba on a traditional “dhow” boat, and enjoy snorkelling on the shores of this island.
- Indulge in lip-smacking delicacies, mingle with locals, and soak in the fascinating night scenes at the market that takes place every night, along the waterfront in Stone Town.
- Stop by at the lush Jozani Forest and say hello to the Red Colobus Monkey, indigenous to Zanzibar.
- Take a boat trip to Prison Island. Once functioning as a prison for slaves, this tiny island is today a nature reserve for giant tortoises.
- Admire the structure of the Old Fort in Stone Town. Built in the 17th century, the ruins of this incredible fort are now home to traders selling local merchandise, and an amphitheatre where events are held on most evening.
- Revel in a stroll at Stone Town’s Darajani Market bursting with all sorts of exciting vendors, local flavours, and plenty of vibrancy.
- Renowned world-over for its spices, a trip to Zanzibar would be incomplete without taking a Spice Tour.