Comprising of the Zanzibar archipelago in the Indian ocean, along with several islands including the two major islands of Unguja (the main island) and Pemba, Zanzibar is a stunning destination flanked by dreamy, white-sand beaches, idyllic islands, glistening corals, rural beach-lined villages, the medieval Stone Town (an iconic historic centre), extraordinary restaurants and bars, and plenty more to overwhelm you with its magic. The main magnets of Zanzibar tourism are the powdered beaches, the diverse wildlife, and lush islands and forests, giving you unlimited options when it comes to places to see and things to do in Zanzibar.
Things to do in Zanzibar
On your next visit to this region, here is a must-accomplish list of things to do in Zanzibar:
- Check out the numerous clean, exotic, tranquil and pristine beaches of Zanzibar, especially Nungwi beach and Kendwa beach.
- Visit the historic Stone Town, located in the heart of Zanzibar City, and savour a tour of its markets, labyrinth alleys and an array of historic sites.
- Sail to the beautiful island of Pemba on a traditional “dhow” boat, and enjoy snorkelling on the shores of this island.
- Indulge in lip-smacking delicacies, mingle with locals, and soak in the fascinating night scenes at the market that takes place every night, along the waterfront in Stone Town.
- Stop by at the lush Jozani Forest and say hello to the Red Colobus Monkey, indigenous to Zanzibar.
- Take a boat trip to Prison Island. Once functioning as a prison for slaves, this tiny island is today a nature reserve for giant tortoises.
- Admire the structure of the Old Fort in Stone Town. Built in the 17th century, the ruins of this incredible fort are now home to traders selling local merchandise, and an amphitheatre where events are held on most evening.
- Revel in a stroll at Stone Town’s Darajani Market bursting with all sorts of exciting vendors, local flavours, and plenty of vibrancy.
- Renowned world-over for its spices, a trip to Zanzibar would be incomplete without taking a Spice Tour.
Best time to Visit Zanzibar
Before heading out to explore this beautiful African destination, it is recommended you check what the best time to visit Zanzibar is, so that you don’t get to miss out on any of its extraordinary facets.
While the best time to visit Zanzibar may differ according to your interests and reasons for visiting, here is a brief guide about the weather of Zanzibar.
June to October
The months from June to October are undoubtedly the best time to visit Zanzibar. Expect the archipelago to be blessed with clear, sunny skies and almost no rain at all.
December to February
Even these months, just before the rains start in March, are a great time to visit Zanzibar, when the weather is hot and dry.
Super Tip – Try combining your visit to Zanzibar with a visit to Northern Tanzania, to witness one of most breath-taking wildlife spectacle of the planet – the Serengeti wildebeest migration! More than a million wildebeest, accompanied by gazelle and zebra, plod across Serengeti, in search of water and greener pastures.
To read about the Serengeti migration, and more such similar, breath-taking wildlife migrations, click here!
Best beaches in Zanzibar
Nungwi: Hands down, the best beach in Zanzibar. Perfect to chase the ocean, swim till your heart’s delight, and soak in the beach’s chilled out, party atmosphere! Numerous bars and restaurants available!
Kendwa: A lazy, laid-back beach, Kendwa beach has perfect white sand and turquoise waters – ideal for tranquillity seekers!
Paje: With a good selection of bars, restaurants and villas, Paje is one of the most popular beaches of Zanzibar. A paradise to enjoy sports like windsurfing, kite surfing, and scuba diving.
Bwejuu: A quiet beach town, dotted with swaying palms, Bwejju is truly pleasant.
Kiwengwa: With plenty of fancy resorts and surreal stretches of sand, Kiwengwa is the best place to soak in a slice of Zanzibar.