Sri Lanka Tour Packages
Sri Lanka an Insight
Sri Lanka known as “The Pearl of Indian Ocean” is an island which was earlier known as Ceylon. The language heard on Sri Lanka holidays, which is Sinhala, means “lions’ blood”, and the symbol in the national flag is also of a lion. The coast of the Indian Ocean, the 26 national parks, the various ancient sites ensure that one always gets a different experience on Sri Lankan tours.
Sri Lanka tours start with the modern town of Colombo to viewing of the oldest man planted Bodhi tree which is known to be more than 2000yrs old. It traverses through with a view of the Adam’s Peak which has important significance in all the religions. Or one can plan to convert their Sri Lanka holidays into viewing the world’s largest marine mammal, the Blue whale while scuba diving.
Holidayme.com and Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka is a land of many treasures, whether one wants to relax on a sandy beach, or revel in the many historical wonders or go on adventure trips. Holidayme.com offers customized holiday packages such that patrons can build the entire trip to suit their convenience. The packages begin with a choice of the best airlines in Sri Lanka, like Sri Lankan Airlines, Air Arabia, and Emirates. Whether the patrons choose a serene coastal town or plans to visit the heritage sites, the best hotels in Sri Lanka are booked to extend maximum comfort to them.
Sightseeing in Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka has a plethora of places of historical and natural importance, here are a few:
- Sigiriya, a foremost Sri Lanka sightseeing point, is a 5th century fortress built high upon the Lion’s Rock.
- Galle a coastal town with a 15th century fortress and is a relaxed sightseeing in Sri Lanka.
- Kandy is an important sightseeing in Sri Lanka as here the Buddhist sacred Temple of the Tooth Relic is situated.
- Sri Lanka sightseeing is incomplete without a visit to Polonnaruwa, where the ruins of 12th century garden and Royal Palace are in excellent condition.
- Anuradhapura, a 3rd century BC town is known for the Sacred Buddha Tree, many stupas and palaces.
- Nuwara Eliya has natural landscape of tea tree gardens, old British cottages, Lake Gregory and Laxapana waterfall.
- Colombo is a mix of modern with the ancient. The Gangaramayan Temple and Galle Face Green beach strip is the most visited here.
- Yala National Park is not only famous for its wild life but also for Sithulpaowwa an ancient rock temple, and Magul Maha Virahaya an ancient setting for royal marriages.
- Bentota is a coastal town well known for it’s 17th century fortress, turtle hatchery and water sports.
Activities in Sri Lanka
The extensive coastline and the tropical rainforest offer a plethora of activities in Sri Lanka for the adventure junkies. Here is a list of few of them:
- Surfing in Arugambay beach is one of the Sri Lanka activities both experts and beginners can do.
- Amongst the most sought-after activities in Sri Lanka, wildlife safari in National parks, takes the front seat.
- Scuba diving and deep-sea diving Sri Lankan activities is centred in Hikkaduwa.
- Hiking and trekking tours are conducted on Adam’s Peak, Knuckle Mountain range and others.
- Kitesurfing, windsurfing, wake boarding and white-water rafting are other outdoor activities.
What to eat in Sri Lanka
The Island of Rice of Curry has a lot of wonderful surprises in it’s kitty to offer. Here is a consolidated list of the best food in Sri Lanka:
- Fish Ambul Thiyal is the most famous Sri Lanka food made of Tuna fish, spices and goraka a locally grown herb used to give the sour taste.
- Kottu is fried roti chopped into small pieces and fried with vegetables and spices and is the best food in Sri Lanka found in every nook and corner.
- Kukul Mas curry is a chicken curry made with coconut milk.
- Parippu is a lentil curry which is a staple best food in Sri Lanka found in all households and restaurants.
- Lamprais is meat curry and rice cooked in a banana leaf parcel.
- Gotu Kola Mallum Sambola is prepared from fresh shredded coconut and green salad.
- Table One, Mango Tree, Chutneys at Cinnamon Grand, The Lagoon, and The Manhattan Fish Market are few halal restaurants in Sri Lanka.
Best Months to visit – December to March and May to September
- Currency – Sri Lankan Rupee
- Capital –Colombo (Commercial)
- Languages Spoken – Sinhala, Tamil
- Time Zone – UTC+5.30
- Calling Code – +94